The objective of the project was to design and build a totally new water supply system for the Turku region in order to replace current raw water sources and water treatment plants. The new system created a sustainable solution for the Turku region water supply, including raw water intake, physical and chemical pre-treatment, raw water transmission, groundwater recharging, potable water transmission to rock reservoir and water distribution to municipal networks.
Pöyry's services included:
- General planning covering the entire system
- Environmental impact assessment and risk management plans
- Environmental licence applications
- Functional planning covering the entire system
- Implementation planning of water intake and treatment plants
- Automation planning covering the entire system
- Services during construction
- Commissioning and operational training
The system serves a population of about 285 000 inhabitants, including eight municipalities.