Run-of-river schemes, which are often constructed in the bed of large rivers, not only generate electricity, but also provide flood protection, contribute to tourism development, influences bed load and sediment transportation and sometimes guarantee shipping transport. It is no wonder that they are highly complex structures to construct.
Presenting economically sound concepts and meeting high ecological standards are every day commitments for Pöyry. We place special focus on:
- Hydrological and geological data assessments
- Economical design flow analysis
- Proven river diversion concepts
- Elaborated construction phases
- Flood risk management
- Ecological improvement
Having designed, upgraded and rehabilitated numerous run-of-river schemes, our experts understand how to create added value and meet client expectations. Our hydromechanical experts, in particular, provide specialised expertise in all types of turbine concepts, such as:
- Bulb turbines
- Straflo turbines
- Kaplan turbines
- Matrix turbines
- Francis turbines (in some cases)
Choosing Pöyry as the preferred engineer means choosing the best solution to meet your specific needs.
Investing in hydropower means either buying existing assets or developing projects. If the decision is to buy existing assets, then specific know-how is needed to assess all opportunities and threads related to the chosen hydropower schemes. A special focus must be set, not only on technical issues such as defective conditions, upgrading or rehabilitation potential and life expectancy, but also on economic issues, such as electricity price forecasts, market conditions and financial plant evaluation.
Pöyry combines technical and economical skills to offer you a full range of services, such as:
- Technical due diligence
- Rehabilitation assessments
- Upgrading and operational improvement analysis
- Electricity price forecasting
- Asset valuation
- Reports on economic return
Delivering sound reports on asset valuation requires an in-depth understanding of hydropower principles. We involve more than just economists - we also regularly mobilise hydrologists, geologists, structural experts, dam engineers as well as electrical and hydro-mechanical engineers.
We aim to give added value through finding hidden opportunities and, where suitable, upgrading possibilities.
Having been in the hydropower business for more than 100 years gives us great breadth in understanding technical developments, market evolutions and legal changes. Today, it is safe to call us not only engineers, but also consultants.
Developing hydropower projects means that clients must consider not just technical issues, but also related issues, such as carbon credit eligibilities and financing models. Pöyry offers a full range of consulting services that include:
- Master plans
- Power market studies
- Hydropower potential analysis
- Financial models for projects
- Advice on green certificates (carbon credits)
- Technical and financial reviews for lenders
- Construction scheduling
- Operation strategies
We have proven consultation experience in advising international financing institutions and regional organisations. But no matter the client, a sound project always starts with adequate and well-developed basic information and assumptions.
We understand the hydropower market and can bring our highly qualified consultation know-how to meet your specific needs.
Project Development Services
Developing a reservoir storage scheme or complex run-of-river scheme involves starting projects from a sound basis. This requires a lot of initial technical input starting, for example, with adequate hydrological and geological data. In addition a well-designed scheme calls for a thought-out hydraulic concept and an optimised operational mode.
Pöyry is highly recognised for developing optimised hydropower schemes and carrying out all necessary investigations that lead to delivering the most feasible project. Our services include:
- Hydrological data assessments
- Geological investigations and mappings
- Hydraulic concepts
- Weir and Dam type studies
- Excavation and underground works (waterways and caverns)
- Powerhouse developments
- Plant access analysis
- Time scheduling and construction phase planning
- Operational concepts and economic assessments
We provide the adequate documentation in accordance with your specific needs. Pöyry equally serves utilities, governmental entities, contractors, banks and lenders as well as project developers. Upon your request, we will also deal with all necessary approving procedures and will carry out:
- Conceptual and pre-feasibility studies
- Hydro development assessments
- Bankable feasibility reports
- Technical specification documents
- Construction programmes
to finally give your project the right start.
Design & Engineering
Key in every project is the basic and tender design. Our experience shows that clients can safeguard investments by mitigating the project risk before starting implementation. In essence, by spending more attention to project details today, you will encounter fewer problems tomorrow. We call it the real return on investment and that is exactly how we work.
To do so, we employ experts in fields that include:
- Hydrological and Hydraulic engineering
- Civil engineering
- Dam engineering
- Underground engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Environmental engineering
With Pöyry, you get all services from a single source. We co-ordinate engineering issues on your behalf and believe that sound project management means technical understanding, mastering milestones and keeping track of project costs.
Value-added engineering is not just an empty idea, it is our daily commitment. Our services include:
- Basic Design
- Tender documents and specifications
- Tender evaluations and contract documents
- Detailed design
- Construction drawings
- Reviews of suppliers design and shop inspections
- As-built drawings and documentation
- Manuals and safety guidelines
Let us know your needs. We will provide first class design.
Mastering a project means also mastering the construction site.
As an experienced consulting engineer, we have also gained specialised competence in project management and can provide services on the local level that include:
- Site supervision
- Technical assistance and advice
- Environmental monitoring
- Contract management
- Risk management
- Cost and time management
- Project and quality management
If a lean project organisation is required, we can serve you best in offering full EPCM services. Clients do not need to bother with engineering, procurement or interface management nor construction or project management. With our EPCM approach, clients benefit from:
- State-of-the-art project management and controlling tools
- Integrated processes and methods
- Detailed service scope definition
- Unified project directives
- Transparent project task scoping between involved parties
- Fast project implementation that minimises lead times in all phases
We handle every issue on our client's behalf and make the project a success. Choosing Pöyry means getting professional assistance for all project implementation tasks.
Electromechanical & Rehabilitation Services
Having designed and rehabilitated numerous hydropower plants worldwide, we are specialists in all electromechanical aspects.
We have some 70 experts dealing with:
- Turbines and pumps
- Generators including excitation and protection systems
- Emergency and cooling systems, fire protection and HVAC
- Switchyards and substations
- Hydro mechanical equipment including steel linings and cranes
- Instrumentation and control as diagnostic systems
- Water supply control regulators
- T & D planning including network and communication systems
We also advise clients on energy management systems with corresponding IT solutions and business process optimisation or solutions for energy markets that are in the process of liberalisation.
Increasing reliability of existing plants is best achieved with a rehabilitation or simple refurbishment. Pöyry offers these services together with an analysis of upgrading opportunities and a lifetime expectation assessment of all systems. This approach often creates additional value by mitigating down-time risks and helps to increase the return on investment. Our services include:
- Feasibilities and upgrading reports
- Conceptual and tender design
- Technical specification documents
- Contractual management
- Supervision, shop inspections and commissioning support
- Operation management
- Full rehabilitation service packages
Whatever your request, we will provide the right solution for you.
Pöyry offers a wide range of internationally recognised specialised services. Below are some noteworthy examples - we also regularly respond to specific enquiries upon request:
Hydrological and hydraulic modelling services covering cascade simulation, forecasting and warning systems, flood protection, groundwater modelling and management
Dam monitoring services including geodetic surveys, dam safety assessments and seismic analysis
Earthquake assessment services for seismic design, modelling services, damage assessments and rehabilitation packages
Environmental services including monitoring, risk and impact assessments, resettlements, soil and groundwater investigations, permits, audits and due diligence
Turbine efficiency measuring with own equipment for Pelton and Francis turbine schemes using temperature method
Flood protection covering flood hazard assessments, emergency plans, corresponding protection structures hydro-meteorological monitoring networks and others
Operation & Maintenance support including operational improvement concepts, manuals, trainings and capacity building
Pöyry will provide the right solution, no matter the challenge. As a reliable partner, we are committed to quality and believe that excellence means sustainability.