Pöyry offers district heating services for all sizes of municipalities who want to rehabilitate existing district heating systems or build new ones.
The objective of municipal power and heat supply is to provide heat to houses, hot domestic water and, in some cases, cooling of houses. Heat is mainly provided from cogeneration plants, which maximise the benefit of power and heat generation.
Pöyry's track record shows successful projects in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and South-East Asia. Pöyry's in-house expertise also covers the consumer end of power and heat supply.
The technologies include the following:
- Conventional solid fuel fired (coal, wood waste, wastes, biofuels) combined heat and power plants (CHP)
- Combined cycle CHP plants
- Heat only boiler plants
- Chilling plants
- Heat distribution piping systems
- Balancing of heat demand variation with seasonal or daily storage systems (heat accumulators)
- Waste heat recovery from processes for district heating
Pöyry's services cover all phases of the implementation chain:
- Technical advisory services
- Project development, including EIA's
- Project planning and engineering
- Project implementation, including EPCM
- Operation and maintenance
Pöyry's global network of experts enables us to understand local conditions and requirements.
Pöyry's large variety of experts, e.g. economists, financial advisers, commercial experts, energy specialists and experts for various technologies, provide an exceptionally good base for project development services.
Examples of these services include the following:
- Nationwide or regional energy market analyses
- Fuel availability studies
- Due diligence of existing power plants or planned investment projects
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- Financing studies
- Environmental impact assessments
- Conceptual design
- Preparation of fuel purchase and power purchase agreements
- Front-End Engineering
Project Planning and Plant Engineering
Pöyry has developed special tools for project planning purposes that are also widely used in the project development stage, e. g. for combustion calculation or optimisation of thermal steam and combined cycle processes.
The main services for planning and engineering of implementation projects are:
- Plant concept
- Process optimisation
- Basic engineering
- Engineering for planning approval
- Detail engineering (incl. piping design and 2/3 D modelling)
- Tender specification
- Purchasing support
Project services are offered the owners and developers of the power plant projects, but can also be provided to EPC contractors, manufacturers, equipment suppliers and lenders.
We offer the following project services depending on the need of the client:
- Lender's engineer (LE)
- Owner's engineer (OE)
- Construction management (CM) including site supervision, scheduling, cost control, supervision of manufacturing, commissioning and start-up services, and progress reporting
- Performance and guarantee measurements and tests for boilers, steam turbines, gas turbines, flue gas cleaning devices and auxiliary equipment
- Project implementation as EPCM contractor
- Project implementation as EPC contractor (selective cases)
Total Solutions for Investment Projects (EPCM)
Engineering, Procurement, Project and Construction Management: with our globally integrated know-how and resources, Pöyry is ready to implement even the most complex of client projects. We offer proven expertise in successfully executing large EPCM project that require world-class project management capability.
In an investment project, all parties involved benefit from getting engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM), as well as project management services, from one source.
Pöyry takes care of services, from project planning, engineering and coordination, to construction management following budget and schedule agreed, together with the client. For our clients, this means that they have a single contact partner and do not need to create separate organisations for handling project interfaces.
Our accumulated project execution experience and our project tools have been further developed into our own Pöyry 4ePCM™ concept. The 4ePCM brings structure, clarity and efficiency to project implementation.
It defines responsibilities, liabilities and tasks for each project party. Additionally, it defines deliverables with right responsible. It makes it easier to get an overview of a large amount of interconnected responsibilities, events, decisions and documents that are the backbone of a successful project.
Pöyry's 4ePCM offers the following:
- Clarity, predictability and control
- Integrated processes and methods throughout projects
- Detailed service scope definition
- Ready-to-use templates and tools
- Simple project guidelines development
- Faster project implementation by minimising the lead times of various phases
- "One-stop shopping"
Operation and Maintenance
We offer operation and maintenance services for energy production plants as well as industrial or municipal energy consumers. Pöyry has its own modern equipment for conducting these services.
Pöyry's main operation and maintenance services include:
- Emission measurement services as a test laboratory (T062) accredited by FINAS (Finnish Accreditation Service) according to the SFS-EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 standard covering the following exhaust and flue gas compounds: particulates, oxygen, oxides of nitrogen and sulphur, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride, hydrocarbons volumetric flow and composition of gas
- Calibration and comparison measurements (QAL-2 and AST) of continuous measurement systems in industry and energy production plants according to the SFS-EN 14181:2004 standard, using accredited reference methods
- Measurement of following emissions: odorous sulphur compounds (both TRS and separate compounds), PCDDs/PCDFs, PCBs, chlorophenoles and PAHs, ammonia chlorine and chlorine dioxide, heavy metals, fine particles (PM1.0, PM2.5 and PM10), condensible particulate matter
- Performance measurements (boiler plants, steam turbines, gas turbines, cooling towers, desulphurisation units, NOx removal systems and electrostatic precipitators), wind power plants, regenerative thermal and catalytic combustion plants, solvent recovery plants
- Condition monitoring, revision and operational tests for assessing the performance development of processes or individual components and need for overhaul and maintenance
- Noise measurements and modelling (3D modelling of noise transmission to the area for environmental permitting needs)
- Provision of technical advisors for annual overhauls and operation and maintenance planning
Extensive wind power measurements during development phase covering also arctic climatic conditions:
- Implementation of meteorological measurements by means of mast measurements and supplementary soundings
- Development of measurement systems
Wind power measurements in operational phase:
- Commissioning, i.e. power curve measurements according to the IEC 61400-12 standard
- operation and maintenance consulting
- Energy efficiency assessment and benchmarking for power plants and process industry