Pöyry's expertise covers the main technologies in utility-type power plants:
- Coal, lignite, peat and biomass fired steam power plants. Unit sizes up to 800 MW and supercritical steam parameters.
- Solid know-how on fluidised bed firing (CFB), conventional pulverised firing, grate firing and gasification. Specialisation also in carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology.
- Combined cycle power plants with unit sizes up to 800 MW
- Single cycle gas turbine power plants
- Diesel power plants
- Water desalination combined with utility power plants
Pöyry's services cover all phases of the implementation chain:
- Project development, including EIA's
- Project planning and engineering
- Project implementation, including EPCM
- Operation and maintenance
Pöyry's global network of experts enables us to understand local conditions and requirements. Our track record shows successful projects in Europe (including Eastern and Western Europe and Russia), the Middle East and Asia.
Pöyry's large variety of experts, e.g. economists, financial advisers, commercial experts, energy specialists and experts for various technologies, provide an exceptionally good base for project development services.
Examples of these services include the following:
- Nationwide or regional energy market analyses
- Fuel availability studies
- Due diligence of existing power plants or planned investment projects
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- Financing studies
- Environmental impact assessments
- Conceptual design
- Preparation of fuel purchase and power purchase agreements
- Front-End Engineering
Project Planning and Plant Engineering
Pöyry has developed special tools for project planning purposes that are also widely used in the project development stage, e. g. for combustion calculation or optimisation of thermal steam and combined cycle processes.
The main services for planning and engineering of implementation projects are:
- Plant concept
- Process optimisation
- Basic engineering
- Engineering for planning approval
- Detail engineering (incl. piping design and 2/3 D modelling)
- Tender specification
- Purchasing support
Project services are offered the owners and developers of the power plant projects, but can also be provided to EPC contractors, manufacturers, equipment suppliers and lenders.
We offer the following project services depending on the need of the client:
- Lender's engineer (LE)
- Owner's engineer (OE)
- Construction management (CM) including site supervision, scheduling, cost control, supervision of manufacturing, commissioning and start-up services, and progress reporting
- Performance and guarantee measurements and tests for boilers, steam turbines, gas turbines, flue gas cleaning devices and auxiliary equipment
- Project implementation as EPCM contractor
- Project implementation as EPC contractor (selective cases)
Total Solutions for Investment Projects (EPCM)
Engineering, Procurement, Project and Construction Management: with our globally integrated know-how and resources, Pöyry is ready to implement even the most complex of client projects. We offer proven expertise in successfully executing large EPCM project that require world-class project management capability.
In an investment project, all parties involved benefit from getting engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM), as well as project management services, from one source.
Pöyry takes care of services, from project planning, engineering and coordination, to construction management following budget and schedule agreed, together with the client. For our clients, this means that they have a single contact partner and do not need to create separate organisations for handling project interfaces.
Our accumulated project execution experience and our project tools have been further developed into our own Pöyry 4ePCM™ concept. The 4ePCM brings structure, clarity and efficiency to project implementation.
It defines responsibilities, liabilities and tasks for each project party. Additionally, it defines deliverables with right responsible. It makes it easier to get an overview of a large amount of interconnected responsibilities, events, decisions and documents that are the backbone of a successful project.
Pöyry's 4ePCM offers the following:
- Clarity, predictability and control
- Integrated processes and methods throughout projects
- Detailed service scope definition
- Ready-to-use templates and tools
- Simple project guidelines development
- Faster project implementation by minimising the lead times of various phases
- "One-stop shopping"
Pöyry’s cutting-edge measurement technology, calculation software and extensive process competence guarantee reliable results in power and boiler plant and process industry measurements and the associated expert services.
Typical measurements include the warranty and condition monitoring of steam boilers, flue gas treatment and steam and gas turbines, emission measurement for obligatory monitoring, plants’ preliminary and implementation planning measurements, fuel and process optimisation measurements and plant measurement calibrations.
Flue gas emissions
Our emission measurement service teams run an accredited testing laboratory (T062, accreditation requirement SFS-EN ISO/IEC 17025) accredited for flue and exhaust gas measurement by the Finnish Accreditation Service (FINAS). The accreditation covers the following quality assurance procedures and measurements in accordance with the valid SFS-EN and ISO standards:
- Calibration and comparison measurements (QAL-2 and AST)
- Particulate matter, nitrogen and sulphur oxides, carbon monoxide and dioxide
- Hydrogen chloride and fluoride, hydrocarbons
- Dioxins and furans (PCDD/F), metals, mercury
- Oxygen, humidity, volume flow
- Malodorous reduced sulphur compounds (TRS and individual sulphur compounds separately)
- PCBs, chlorophenols and PAHs
- Ammonia, chlorine and chlorine dioxide
- Fine particles (PM1.0, PM2.5 and PM10)
- Filterable and condensable particulate matter (FPM+CPM)
Wind power measurements
- Wind forecast measurements using masts and Sodar instruments
- Noise measurements and modelling
- Vibration measurements and modelling
- Power curve measurements according to the standards IEC 61400-12-1, 61400-12-2 and 61400-26-2
- Warranty inspections and vibration measurements
- Wind farm reference masts and measurement instruments
- Assessment of wind measurement systems (masts) and remote measurement instruments (Sodar) and data
- Operation and maintenance consulting
- Expert services
Extensive and sufficiently long-term wind measurements start the development of wind power projects, and they are the only way to reliably determine the production potential. During operation, the production capacity of wind farms is determined through power curve measurements and other applicable technical surveys.
Pöyry’s expertise in wind power measurements is the most extensive in Finland and covers the execution of meteorological measurements through mast measurement during the project development phase and, if necessary, supplementary remote measurements (Sodar measurement). Our procedures, measurement instruments and reporting tools comply with the key recommendations. We also possess special Arctic expertise and measurement technology suited to ice detection.
Noise measurements and modelling
- Comprehensive noise analysis of industrial plants (including noise source and emission measurement, for example)
- Noise warranty measurements of energy plants (according to standards ISO 3746 and DIN 45 635, for example)
- Environmental noise measurements (including ISO 1996-1 and ISO 1996-2)
- Wind power generation noise measurement (sound source and emission measurement, including IEC 61400-11)
We model the noise diffusion of industrial sound sources as a noise forecast on a 3D map. The forecast is used for plants’ environmental impact assessments, environmental permit applications and preliminary and implementation planning.
Warranty and condition monitoring measurements and process optimisation
As an independent third party, we give a statement based on measurements on the fulfilment of the design and warranty values of, for example, steam boilers, turbines and flue gas treatment systems. Warranty measurements also serve as an excellent foundation for the plant’s operation, maintenance and performance development monitoring.
Steam turbine measurements and the associated overall analysis of the water/steam circuit and process is done to:
- Check the turbine condition, operational economy and safe operation
- Maximise the plant’s service life and efficiency
- Model the turbine process
- Calibrate the operating measurement instruments
The factors listed above establish justifications for repair decisions and timing.
Measurements of boiler and treatment equipment and analysis of results is done to:
- Determine the boiler’s efficiency
- Check the boiler balance calculations
- Evaluate the performance and chemical consumption of treatment equipment
- Determine the cost-effectiveness of fuel drying
- Evaluate the cost-effectiveness of heat recovery (heat recovery washers, district heating economisers)
- Determine the furnace temperature and flue gas residence time