The Modugno gas turbine combined cycle power plant was completed in 2009. It was built on a very narrow site in the industrial area close to the city of Bari. The plant consists of two gas turbines, two heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) and one steam turbine. The electric output of the plant is 800 MW and the fuel is natural gas.
During the design and implementation of the plant, special attention was paid, besides efficiency, to the minimization of noise impacts and water consumption. The project also included a 6 km long 380 kV power transmission line (partly underground cable and partly overhead line), a 380 kV sub-station to the HV national grid (TERNA), an about 8 km long raw water line and some street arrangements.
Pöyry acted as Owner's Engineer in collaboration with Sorgenia Progetti S.r.l. and provided the following services:
- Preparation of technical documentation for the EPC contract
- Final contract negotiations with two bidders
- Project management, including scheduling and quality control
- Electrical and I&C lead engineering
- Engineering back office activities (design review), all disciplines, except civil
- Supply control (expediting, factory acceptance tests)
- Site supervision (mainly by the associated company)
- Commissioning supervision (I&C)