Managing the entire bioenergy chain
Managing climate change has developed into a key challenge for energy producers and energy-intensive industries. Energy-related products and services are weighed against their environmental competitiveness. Air quality management has also become a key regional and local issue. Bioenergy is a powerful way of switching energy generation into an environmentally sustainable solution.
Our expertise is all-inclusive, covering:
- Biomass sourcing and processing
- Heat and power generation
- Distributed power
- Environmental assessment and climate impact
We possess the leading technological know-how in the combined generation of heat and power from biomass. Besides cost efficiency and reliability for industry and communities, environmental considerations are an integral part of our bioenergy know-how.
We have experience of all kinds of biomass, such as forest harvesting residues, the by-products of the pulp and paper industry (black liquor, bark, sawdust, sludge, wood waste) and crops (such as rice husk, bagasse, nut shells, cereal straw, rape seed and reed canary grass) as well as biogas produced from various biodegradable wastes.
Our track record: engineering and consultancy services provided for more than 200 projects worldwide.
Pöyry's large variety of experts, e.g. economists, financial advisers, commercial experts, energy specialists and experts for various technologies, provide an exceptionally good base for project development services.
Examples of these services include the following:
- Nationwide or regional energy market analyses
- Fuel availability studies
- Due diligence of existing power plants or planned investment projects
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- Financing studies
- Environmental impact assessments
- Conceptual design
- Preparation of fuel purchase and power purchase agreements
- Front-End Engineering
Project Planning and Plant Engineering
Pöyry has developed special in-house tools for project planning purposes which are also widely used in the project development stage, including TURSIM for optimisation of thermal steam prosesses.
The main services for planning and engineering of implementation projects are:
- Process optimisation
- Basic engineering
- Layout design
- 3D modelling
- Visualization and dynamic modelling
- Piping design
- Automation engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Structural design
Project services are offered the owners and developers of the power plant projects, but can also be provided to EPC contractors, manufacturers, equipment suppliers and lenders.
We offer the following project services depending on the need of the client:
- Lender's engineer (LE)
- Owner's engineer (OE)
- Construction management (CM) including site supervision, scheduling, cost control, supervision of manufacturing, commissioning and start-up services, and progress reporting
- Performance and guarantee measurements and tests for boilers, steam turbines, gas turbines, flue gas cleaning devices and auxiliary equipment
- Project implementation as EPCM contractor
- Project implementation as EPC contractor (selective cases)